The mission of the University of Utah Manufacturing Extension Partnership (UUMEP) Center is to help small- and medium-sized manufacturing businesses in Utah be competitive in the global marketplace.
Six pillars to this mission are:
- reducing cost
- retaining and
- increasing revenue
- retaining and
- increasing jobs, and
- increasing investment
We implement this ambitious mission in collaboration with our partners by focusing on the following five key elements:
- Operational excellence: We maximize profit through manufacturing and business process optimization based on lean, six-sigma, certification, and other operational excellence methods.
- Workforce training: We promote technology adoption through workforce education, to retain and grow a highly-skilled workforce. Additionally, we drive enthusiasm for high-tech careers in manufacturing through active outreach to students.
- Advanced manufacturing technology: We support product and process innovation through implementation of advanced manufacturing technologies, automation, and robotics.
- Product and process innovation: We use data-driven business analytics to identify new products and markets that increase revenue, and create new jobs through economic growth.
- Investment access: We link Utah manufacturing businesses with capital and investment groups.
About the MEP Network
The UUMEP Center is part of the nationwide Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) network and the only public–private partnership dedicated to serving small and medium-sized manufacturers. Since 1988, the MEP network has worked to strengthen U.S. manufacturing. The national network of MEP Centers work directly with manufacturers and contribute to the growth of well-paying jobs, dynamic manufacturing communities, and American innovation and global competitiveness.